Wednesday, March 31, 2010

rib-a-roni hat

Let me tell you, I am no experienced knitter. My mom taught me to knit when I was little ... but I didn't really take it up until a little over a year ago when a dear friend invited me to a monthly knitting group. I started out with a dishcloth and then jumped to a HUGE baby blanket and some cute legwarmies (posts coming soon). This was actually the fourth project I have attempted and I am just tickled pink with how it turned out! (And I love that it looks kind of complicated ... but it really isn't!)


(Click on images to see larger versions.)

Can you believe that I started this hat two three four five six seven eight times before I finally got it right? And when I got to my decrease rows to do the crown, I skipped over 2 lines of the pattern ... but didn't notice until I was several rows in. Grrrr. Let me tell you, I thought this hat was a goner at that point and I actually broke it to my son that I would have to rip it all out and start over. Instead I ripped out almost 10 rows and was able to get ALL the stitches back on the needle (which is like an Olympic event for me ... I require complete silence and everyone must leave the room). I felt like I had just won a gold medal after I got all those stitches back on!

This was my first hat and I am quite pleased with how it turned out. My dear son was quite pleased as well. He must have tried it on more than a dozen times as I was knitting it so we could get a custom fit. He likes hats to be a little longer and cover his ears entirely ... so I tweaked the number of rows in the pattern to get the fit he wanted.

Once I cast on the correct number of stitches (c'mon, how hard is that???) and figured out how to join the stitches so I could knit in the round (watch this video if you don't know how), this hat was a very easy, enjoyable knit. In fact, I picked up yarn a few weeks ago to knit two more hats for the other two boys in the house. (And my husband, the biggest boy, has also said that he would like one in black.)

Knitting is so enjoyable ... but even more enjoyable is when the recipients truly love the finished product!

Yarns: Vanna's Choice (Lion Brand) Charcoal Grey and Rust.



Lessons learned from this project: ALWAYS count the number of stitches you cast on at least two times before you continue knitting. (I always do this anyway, but for some reason in this project, the stitches kept disappearing or multiplying in my cast on row. Maybe it was because I was trying to watch Emma at the same time. I just love that movie. Doesn't Romola Garai do a fabulous job? And Jonny Lee Miller is pretty easy on the eyes.) ALWAYS read the pattern carefully and know exactly which line of the pattern you are on and what line you are moving to next. Don't be afraid to mark up your pattern with a pencil!

No comments:

Post a Comment