Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pixie Striped Hat

A friend from church sent me a message on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. She had fallen in love with this hat on Etsy but didn't necessarily want to fork over $32 for one hat. So she emailed me to see if I would be interested in making a hat for her baby. Of course! I would love to make a hat for her baby!

She settled on this pattern and Malabrigo Rios yarn in Lettuce and Ravelry Red. Let me tell you right now, this yarn is very nice yarn to work with. I could just touch it all day long. It is so soft and wonderful!

Here it is after working just a short bit on it:

(Click on image to see larger version.)

Unfortunately, I found after I cast on the correct number of stitches on a circular needle that I was not going to be able to use a circular needle for this hat. I didn't have enough stitches on my needle to even join the round. Frustrating! Fortunately, I had a set of DPNs in size 9, so I cast on and got to work.

I am a teensy bit concerned about the size of the hat so far. The yarn has good bounce to it (so it will stretch nicely and bounce back) but it seems small right now. It is sized for 0-4 months ... but I'm not convinced it will fit a newborn! It seems too small. I'll knit until I come to the decrease portion of the pattern and then decide if I need to make the next size up. Strange, huh?

I will also be making a matching hat for my friend's two year old son. How cute will those two brothers be in their matching hats for a Christmas photo shoot???

Oh, and the other day my friend Alyce also taught me how to join in the round when working on DPNs. She is just full of good tips and tricks! That was one part of knitting on DPNs that I always disliked. Now ... not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment