Thursday, October 21, 2010

Color Change Scarf

When I first saw the pattern for the Color Change Scarf on the Purl Bee blog, I knew that this was a project for me. I didn't want to invest as much money into the yarn as the project outlines, so I visited a local yarn store and picked up a skein that I love.

Getting off track for a moment: How do you say "skein"? Do you say "skane" or "skeen"? I have always pronounced it "skane" ... is that correct? Merriam Webster is telling me "skane" so I guess I'll stick with my old tried and true pronunciation of that word.

Ok, back to the scarf.

Here's a picture of it so far. I've only knit about 10 rows or so ... I have a long way to go!

(Click on image to see larger version.)

The yarn is just so purty. Don't you agree? I bought it at a local yarn store and they have several other colors of variegated yarn that I loved as well. It was hard to make the choice! But good yarn isn't cheap (but oh, so worth the money!) ... so I just picked the one I loved the most.

Only 64 more inches to go and I'll be done!

Yarn: Cascade Heritage 150 Paints in Juniper (9997)



While I was knitting this the other day at our homeschool co-op, one of my knitting buddies taught me a little trick. Maybe you already know this trick ... but I didn't and I was so happy to learn this! Really, I can't tell you how ridiculously happy I was to learn this because I was dreading keeping track of RS (right side) and WS (wrong side) rows on this scarf.

Here's the trick: To keep track of which side of your knitting you are on, find your tail. If your tail is hanging on the left, then you are on the RS of your knitting. If your tail is hanging on the right, then you are on the WS of your knitting. (Remember the little phrase: "Left is right and right is wrong"?)

Isn't that just the best trick you have heard all day? Thanks, Alyce!

No comments:

Post a Comment